Questions to Ask a Home Health Agency
About the Agency
- Does your agency conduct a needs assessment to determine care plans?
- What is your Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are you certified or accredited?
- How does your agency protect confidentiality?
- How do you handle client’s rights: freedom to request a different caregiver, cancellation of services, right to review logs regarding care?
- Do I need a doctor’s order for home care?
- How does your agency handle emergencies?
About the Agency’s Caregivers
- How do you screen, train and supervise caregivers?
- How do you match caregivers to clients/patients?
- How is the patient’s course of treatment and services documented?
- Who do we contact with questions or complaints?
About The Agency’s Services
- If necessary, is the care plan overseen by a registered nurse?
- Do you provide a written schedule of services?
- Can you help find additional services like Meals on Wheels, etc.?
About Payment and Financials
- Is your agency certified to take Medicaid and/or Medicare?
- Does your agency partner with State Funded Elder service programs that provide subsidized funding for qualified candidates?
- Do you take commercial or long term care insurance?
- Do you have payment agreement plans?
- Do you provide detailed explanations of the costs associated with your services?
- Does your agency provide guidance to help vet financial assistance, if needed?